Have you ever wondered how Windermere became one of the most popular places to visit in England?
We take a look at how it all began.
Windermere only came to prominence as a tourist resort when the railway link was completed from Kendal in 1847. It was then decided that the name ´Birthwaite´ would be confusing for people wanting to visit the great lake, and around 1859 the name of the village was changed to Windermere.
To avoid the steep hill to the actual lakeside at Bowness, the railway terminated in Windermere, and was a major factor in early tourism to the Lakes. Most visitors in those early days arrived from Yorkshire and Lancashire and it was reported that over 125,000 people visited Windermere in the first year of the railway being open. Horse-drawn carriages ferried people from the railway station to the Lake, and local hotels arranged excursions around Windermere and Bowness.
Bowness-on-Windermere, before the introduction of the railway was a fishing village and the vast majority of residents earned a living from fishing or agriculture. Other commercial opportunities arose when Victorian visitors began flocking to the lake to enjoy the ´benefits of the country air´ and several hotels and boarding houses sprang up around the lake.
The lake was used to transport stone, charcoal and minerals since the 15th Century when a ferry service operated across the narrowest point, between Bowness and Ferry House. Large rowing boats ferried people, animals and goods across the lake.
The Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway was linked to ferry services from Lakeside in 1869, which turned Bowness into a popular and fashionable destination for day trips.
Many rich businessmen from Lancashire and Yorkshire bought large country mansions on the Lakeside in the 19th Century – many of which are still standing today. The homes were bought at holiday retreats or as commuter homes, such as Belsfield, which was purchased by Henry Schneider in 1869 and was one of the first Windermere homes to have a jetty at the bottom of the garden. Schneider was an iron magnate who arrived in Barrow-on-Furness in 1839 and would sail to Lakeside in his steamboat, Esperance.
Another famous residence was Storr´s Hall, which was bought by John Bolton in 1804. Bolton was born in Ulverston in 1756, and was one of the wealthiest men in Cumbria. He extended the mansion and created a park. John Bolton was a Cumbrian who made a fortune as a Liverpool slave trader. He bought Storrs Hall with some of the proceeds and used the residence to entertain in style, holding regattas on the lake which were attended by Wordsworth and Sir Walter Scott among others.
Brockhole, which is now the National Park Visitor Centre (since 1969) was built in the late 1880´s by Henry Gaddum a silk merchant from Manchester, and became a convalescent home after he sold it.
If you are looking for somewhere romantic and luxurious to stay in Windermere, Rose Cottage boasts an outdoor hot tub, access to full spa facilities, a log burning stove and a sumptuous king-sized bedroom.